Lies and false beliefs can derail us from living an abundant life. These are part of the impact of original sin and a type of ‘stress’ that messes up God’s design for perfect wellness for us each.
One thing we are called to do as followers of Christ is ‘strip off’ anything that hinders us from running the race of life.
“Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.” Hebrews 12:1
And one aspect of this can be ‘stripping off’ the lies that Satan plants in our minds about ourself… and ‘putting on’ the truth according to the Word of God.
Listed below are 10 lies that we can be convinced by Satan and others to believe – false beliefs. After the lie is the truth about who we really are, in Christ.
Lies of Satan
1. I am not good enough. (You are a royal daughter of the King. 1 Peter 2:9)
2. I might fail. (God goes before you and doesn’t want you to worry! Deuteronomy 3:18)
3. I might not have enough money. (God is Jehovah-that means provider. He will meet all of your needs for His glory! Philippians 4:19)
4. There seems to be no way. This is impossible. (Jesus IS the WAY. John 14:6)
5. How will I make it? Which way should I go? (Pray to God, He will show the right path. Seek His word; it will light your way. Psalm 119:105)
6. I am not pretty enough or the right weight. (God knit you in your mother’s womb and YOU are fearfully and wonderfully made! Jeremiah 1, Psalm 139)
7. I might mess up my future. (God knows His plans for you to prosper YOU and not for evil or harm! Believe that! Trust in God! Jeremiah 29:11)
8. I can sin and no one will know. (God sees all things and knows all things. Romans 6:23, Job 28:24)
9. There won’t be a consequence for my sin. (God is our Father and disciplines those He LOVES. When He corrects you, it is for YOUR good. Proverbs 3:12)
10. I am a failure. God doesn’t love me. (God So Loved You, He sent and GAVE His ONE and only Son Jesus to die for your sins on the cross. There is no condemnation in Christ-You are healed by the blood of Jesus on Calvary. John 3:16)
Don’t believe these lies. Make a choice to embrace the truths. One way to renounce these lies would be to write and/or say the scriptures that are listed above as a personal affirmation.
Example: “For the Lord corrects those he loves, just as a father corrects a child in whom he delights.” Proverbs 3:12 As an affirmation – God corrects me because He loves me, just as my earthly father corrected me because he delighted in me.
Remember, the lies that Satan plants into your mind and heart are meant to derail you from being in an intimate relationship with God, a healthy relationship with yourself and in loving relationships with others. If you believe lies that Satan wants you to embrace, this will likely impact negatively on your view of yourself, perhaps your self esteem or body image. The distorted thinking that comes from the false beliefs might then influence when and what you eat to cope with the negative image you have of yourself. In turn, your health might be adversely impacted.
Don’t believe the lies of Satan! Embrace God’s truths!