In the Faith and Health Ambassador Course, I share a document about fruit with the course participants. It’s based on a small wonderful book by Warren Wiersbe titled Five Secrets of Living. In the book, Wiersbe suggests that the secret to an abundant or full life is bearing fruit. The short outline below addresses the fruit that Wiersbe mentions.
A. WINNING SOULS TO CHRIST AND HELPING THEM GROW…
1. Paul speaks of this kind of “fruit” in Romans 1:13
2. One characteristic of a branch bearing fruit is that it produces a product identical to itself
3. Therefore, one way a disciple bears fruit is by producing another disciple!
B. SHARING WITH THOSE IN NEED…
1. Paul speaks of contributing to the poor as a “fruit” in Romans 15:25-28
2. In His own way, Jesus certainly did this – 2 Corinthians 8:9
3. So if the Vine did this, we should expect His branches to do the same – 1 John 3:16-18
C. DEVELOPING CHRIST-LIKE CHARACTER…
1. Notice that “the fruit of the Spirit” is the development of certain graces: love, joy, peace, patience,
kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Galatians 5:22-23
2. One who abounds in such qualities is growing in the “knowledge of Jesus Christ” – 2 Peter 1:5-8
3. Indeed, he is being “renewed…according to the image of Him who created him” – Colossians 3:9-11
D. PRAISING GOD AND GIVING THANKS…
1. The author of Hebrews describes such activities as a sort of “fruit” – Hebrews 13:15
2. Again, the Vine was known for such behavior – Luke 10:21; John 11:41
3. Should His branches do any less?
(A detailed outline of Wiersbe’s book is available at this link – Secrets of the Abundant Life.)
As you can see, Wiersbe shows that it’s more than just the Fruit of the Spirit – that’s most often discussed by people. Our lives should be making a difference… bearing fruit, in many other ways.
“Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit.
For apart from me you can do nothing.” Jesus in John 15:5
Take a few minutes and assess the degree to which your life is ‘bearing fruit’, according to Wiersbe’s list – which is taken from scripture.
Then, choose to be intentional in addressing an area that you sense God’s Spirit nudging you to attend to.
Additional Resources on Bearing Fruit